Sunday, February 26, 2012

Butterick 3918_Completed...finally!

Well, it's been a long time coming, but I finally...finally...FINALLY completed this pattern.  I love the finished garment, but I will not be making it again.  My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE detail of the pattern are the lapels.  My synopsis below is the same I've shared on Pattern Review.



Pattern Description:
Fitted, lined jacket, hip-length has collar, lapels, princess seams and long, two-piece sleeves with slit fold-back with cuffs


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes...it did.  I love the styling of the jacket and the collar details.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, they were easy to follow.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
On the jacket itself, I love the "wing tip" detail on the lapel.  I also loved the different spin on the traditional princess seam.  The angular seams were what attracted me to the pattern in the first place.  What I didn't like, however, was that inner construction required the same attention to detail.  The lining was exactly the same as the jacket's outer construction.  I felt the pattern makers could have simplified the detail for the lining.  But...it's still a great pattern. I've had it so long, you can't find it anymore.  Having said that, I don't think I'd make it again anyway.  I really like the finished look, but between the necessary FBA (which was interesting...) and the angular seams, I was sometimes too "in the weeds."

Fabric Used:
A gabardine, twill...I think

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
The major alteration was the FBA.  I took so long to complete the suit after cutting it out, that I dropped a dress size.  Consequently, I had to take in a ridiculous amount in the side seams along the way (but...er...uhhh...I'm not complaining :-)

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would recommend it to others, but I wouldn't sew it again....


Conclusion:
Again...I love the suit!  In fact, I kept the pattern piece and guide sheet for the lapel wing tip....  I hope to incorporate the detail into another pattern in the future.  Btw, the skirt comes from another pattern.  I wanted something with no waistband.  Vogue XXXXX did the job nicely!  Happy sewing....

2 comments:

  1. Your suit looks great and the lapel does have a nice detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how this turned out. I've had this pattern too for awhile and it's laying on my sewing table now!

    ReplyDelete