Thursday, March 28, 2013

Making Progress--Simplicity 1699

Loving the peplum top....






Saturday, March 23, 2013

Butterick 5682 complete

My first pair of jeans complete!  It was a 3-day project....  I loved every moment of it.





Pattern Description: At waist, fitted jeans; five options--slim leg, straight leg, boot cut, flared leg and straight leg w/hook and eye closure. I cut the boot cut view 
Pattern Sizing: 16-18-20-22 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes! 

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes...I think they were.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? The design is easy to follow and the fit works out great. 

Fabric Used: I used a stretch denim (10 oz). 

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: This was my first pair of jeans. Consequently, I cut them a size larger to ensure they would fit. In the end, my seam allowance was almost 2". I realized I could cut the correct size and still have one inch seams in the stretch denim. I followed Lisa's tutorial at Sew On and Sew On to make the back pockets. That worked out great. My blog contains more info on: 
Pocket Details
Zipper Details 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Absolutely! In fact, I plan to make several of the views in a few more colors. I also love doing all of the topstitching. However, I'm not a fan of topstitching thread. It jams in the machine and you only get 60 yds on a spool. What a rip off!!! I wound two bobbins and had just enough thread for the pocket details. I might try an embroidery thread next time. Despite that, I love this pattern and appreciate the "rise" at the waistline. Vogue has a similar pattern with a straight leg and boot cut option; however, the rise is 2" below the waistline. Frankly, I'd end up giving "muffin top" a whole new dynamic if I used that pattern.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Uhh...Quite possibly my new favorite thing!

I'm having sew much fun on these jeans they might be my new favorite garment to sew!  They have come together well.  I'm in the process of fitting and preparing to attach the waistband.  I've been digitally documenting every detail.  I love the topstitching details.  I chose a funky twill for the pocket lining.  Even the zipper details came together nicely....  More pics later showcasing the hem and once the fit is finalized

Pockets details

Zipper details
Rear view before sides seams are sewn...

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Initial steps on Butterick 5682--Denim pockets

I started on the indigo jeans....  First, I must give a huge SHOUT OUT to Lisa at Sew On and Sew On for her jean pocket tutorial.  I followed her counsel on construction.  The guide sheet takes you a different route.  I used one of the decorative stitches on my machine with a jeans topstitching thread.  I'm not a huge fan of how the thread performs in the machine.  However, I love the look of it.  

Lessons learned so far:
  • Use a woven fusible interfacing on the pocket wherever there might be decorative stitching.  It keeps the thread from bunching and tangling
  • Go slow...decorative stitches are a nightmare to rip out
  • I'm gonna love making jeans!  



On the cutting room table...

Sew...I'll be busy working on these projects over the next few weeks:

Butterick 5682--my first pair of jeans. I've chosen an indigo denim (looks black to me). It's a 10oz denim with just a bit of stretch. The project will expose me to new techniques and may find me using my embroidery features of my machine.  I started working on this one today, and I'm so excited!!!  

Simplicity 1699--I've had a pink/fuschia linen blend with a coordinating embroidered piece in my stash for a long time. This is finally the season.... This peplum top and pants should be adorable as Spring makes its entry!

Butterick 5382--I love the neckline of this dress. I cut it in a blue knit that may not have enough stretch. I may have to find someone it will actually fit when it's all over. I have a two-way stretch stand standing for the do-over just in case I'm "stitch-slapped" during the first round! 😁

New Look 6150--I had great success on this one the first go 'round. This time I have a delicious red knit.... It's a blue red--my favorite.




Monday, March 11, 2013

What I've been doing for 4 weeks...

I was helping "The Fearless Seamstress" create a dream wedding gown for the reaffirmation of her vows with her husband.  She refused to buy a pattern to create the dress.  She was inspired by a designer gown she had seen elsewhere....  She's pretty amazing in her fearlessness!  She has given me permission to share a few pics here.  We created a muslin pattern based on her measurements and vision.  I blog more about my insights from the journey on my other blog, "A Victorious View."  




We created the pleated yoke for the front and back.  She embellished the lace insert with Swarovski crystals to match the purchased appliqué at center front.