What a shame...Vogue 1159

After many months of being intimidated by Vogue 1159, I decided to tackle this one.  It's a Donna Karan design--fitted, above mid-knee length dress has front pleated at back dropped shoulder, crossed fronts forming drape effect.  This is the same review I posted at PR



Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
What a knee slapping question--absolutely not!  Okay...please allow me to have some fun and vent for a moment.  I spent my Saturday cutting out the pattern and making the dress.  I was thrilled at how well it seemed to be coming together even after I took a 45 minute break to work through some intimidating design and construction issues.  Yes, it looks cute on the dress form, right?  The cuteness ends there....


After struggling through the final details of construction, I clipped the final strings and ran to put it on....  I was horrified!!  I can only describe it as an expensive-looking kitchen dress.  What's a kitchen dress you ask...?  I don't know, but that's what I call it.  I looked like Aunt Bee (from Andy Griffith) having a "sexy moment"--the neckline can showcase cleavage.  The criss-cross feature in the front jutted out too far (and, no, it wasn't my gut).  All that fabric twisted and bunched together in the front just wasn't flattering.  The hem hiked up in the back.  And...AND...it was NOT flattering to look at from behind.  I'm not positive where it went wrong.  I don't think it was the print because the pattern jacket features a similar print pattern.  I honestly think it may be more flattering in a smaller size (like 2...lol).



Were the instructions easy to follow?
They were a bit challenging in some areas....  The toughest part to understand was when making the final attachments of the lining and criss-crossing the fronts in order to attach them to create the shoulder seams and arm opening.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I actually thought the design of the dress was great.  At the end of the day, it wasn't flattering on me.

Fabric Used:
Two-way stretch print....

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I didn't change any aspects of the pattern.  In fact, I didn't even make the usual FBA

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I won't sew it again, but I do think it's a great dress.  I wouldn't recommend it if you're larger than a B-bra cup.  If you are, you might need a FBA--I felt like it was pulling a bit across the front and back.  I would also that you not top stitch as the pattern suggests.  Be careful as well when stay-stitching on a knit.  That created a few problems when attaching the upper back.

Conclusion:
I originally wasn't even going to review the pattern, but then thought someone might benefit from my lessons learned.  After you stop laughing at me...tread carefully.

Comments

  1. Hey Mocha! I love how your fabric for this dress mimmicks the fabric of the model. I CAN NOT WAIT to see your jacket that is "on the cutting table". I have this pattern and JUST looked at it a couple of days ago. I checked out the first review that had like 70 comments and it was mentioned that there is a nice amount of hand sewing involved. Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mocha.... I'm so sorry that this pattern did not work out for you. After all your time put in, plus, the excitement you always feel when you start an outfit. But your description of this disaster was just too cute!! we've all been there. Hope your next project is a success!
    Dori

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts