Skip to main content

New Look 6070 and the art of color blocking

I did complete NL6070....  I was really happy with the black, fuchsia, and white which I purchased at Hancock Fabrics last fall.  It did fit... originally!  However, the weave of the fabric is so tight that it has very give/stretch...even on the bias; there was also very little ease in the finished garment.  Any variance in the weight or waistline and it was a bit too snug.... LOL!




Pattern Description:
Workroom from Project Runway; One piece dress

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, they were....

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I thought the sleeves and pleating details from the front were cute....

Fabric Used:
I think it was a faille; the weave of both fabrics was very tight.  No stretch at all.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
On the fuchsia, black and white, I stuck with the original details.    However, I had a challenge with the second iteration....  I purchased this black, orange, red and hints of copper tribal print many years ago.  I had been very excited about the fabric and wanted a pattern that wouldn't break up the print too much.  I cut the pattern too small and needed to figure out how to salvage the fabric.  I had a black faille (that had also been in the stash for years); so, I decided to try my hand "color blocking!"  I also created a side seam instead of the single waistband feature on the pattern.



Waistline detail
2nd version
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?No...I'm done.  It's a really cute dress, but I wore the first one once and passed the second one on to a friend.  I do, however, highly recommend it to others.  I love the style and think its a great dress.


Color blocking
Pleated cap on sleeve








Comments

  1. Super cute! I have that same fabric I have YET to cut lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Simplicity 2151 - Linear polka dots!

It's a wild print, but I went for it!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Princess seams--they are my favorite. The sleeve detail is nice, and the collar style is my second favorite (shawl collars are my favorite). The length of the top is great for slacks. It's roomy without being too loose. The fit is "Amazing Fit" series.

Fabric used: 
Silky print, but I would love to make it in a print that has just a bit of stretch.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
None. The "Amazing Fit" series is great and offers alternate bra cup sizes. That's why I chose it. The fit really is great.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, however, in a different fabric. The fabric I selected puckers easily.

Conclusion:
Good staple top as a wardrobe builder. I could do with a red, black, and white version of this.







KwikSew K4028 - Rust with black stripes

My first KwikSew pattern.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing it?
Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes. Very easy. It's first Kwik Sew pattern. I will be back.... The instructions suggest serving. I made the mistake of serging the sleeve opening--big mistake. It was difficult to turn under the hem to topstitch.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
It only took 2.5 hours from cut out to finish.

Fabric used:
Ponte knit

Pattern alterations:
None

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Absolutely. Lovely cowl! I loved sewing it. The pieces came together well. I will use a lighter knit to make it again. It's a great year round top for knits of all weights.

Conclusion:
The top wore really well. I really love the color. It will be a "go-to" pattern for me






Busy Season...Some Sewing, Some More Sewing, a New Book, and Even More Sewing!

Well…the past few months have been exciting! While it appears I haven’t been sewing, I have completed a few garments…. I have also been busy launching a new book as well! I'm reviewing 4 garments in this post!  

Columbia Style WeekNatalea and I were asked to construct some of the garments for this year's event.  It was our first time working with "drafted patterns."  It took a bit of getting used to the idea, but we both managed to complete the garments for which we were responsible!  I learned that I routinely underestimate how long it will take to complete a garment.  I made both jackets (Natalea made the blouses).  My estimates came in at about four hours each.  I will at least 4 hours short in both estimations!  We were constructing right down to the day before.  It was a great experience, but I prefer not to sew under that sort of pressure.  I think I'll pass next time :-)


McCall's 6564 and NewLook 6107I love this fabric, and the top is great, too!  It ru…