Vogue 8781 Complete and paired with New Look 6150!



Pattern Description: Lined jacket has shoulder pads, side pockets and two-pieces raglan sleeves. Skirt has a raised waist.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes...for the most part. I'll explain in more detail below.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, they were.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I really love the look of raglan sleeves. It may be that I don't wear them well. I like the skirt, too; however, I find that Vogue patterns sometimes have too much curve in the hip.
Fabric Used: A woven tweed--the quality wasn't that great.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I eliminated the pockets.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Probably not.... I found there was too much fullness in the sleeves. I typically have to make an FBA for most patterns. However, I didn't have to do that for this one. Also, if you at the pics closely, you can see that the jacket fronts don't hang straight or level. I don't think I straight-grained the fabric. So, it may be that the whole thing is off-grain. What a TERRIBLE me-made mistake! This is one of the reasons we make our own, so that we don't end up with garments that twist and curve in the wrong places! AAAAaaaarrrrggghhh! I still wore it to church and made the best of the situation.


The top is New Look 6150.  It is fast becoming a TNT.  This is the second time I've made it, and I've already committed four more pieces of fabric to the pattern as well!!!

Comments

  1. I love the suit on you. I guess because you are close to it you can see what you have identified a problems but it looks great to me. Love that top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great suit, and it looks great on you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the other ladies, we always are hard on ourselves and we shouldnt be, except as a step to learning. I do find that some vogue patterns can be quite large across the back. Top is very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always avoided New Look patterns until recently(I think I mistakenly thought they weren't as good as the others) and I have to say they are becoming my new favourite. I have found the same problem with too much curve in the hips on Vogue skirts, but inspite of the difficulties you had with fitting I think your suit and top look lovely on you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love New Look skirts. The fit is spot on for me. Definitely give them a try!

      Delete
  5. Wow! What a fabulous look. Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your suit looks great and I love your top! I am finding out that I have to straighten too curvy side seams on a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your outfit is beautiful and it looks realy nice on you. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That jacket is so well made! I love that red blouse on you! Definitely TNT! Dynamite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a smart outfit. I love the ruching detail on the top, and it looks so good with the neutral skirt suit. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks ladies! The top has definitely become TNT for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so sharp! I have got to make a suit soon! Love it on you! Looks so classic and professional! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Your outfit is amazing on you! I love it! You are such an inspiration....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking outfit. I just got that NL pattern and have seen several versions of this top on other blogs. I know I have got to make this one as it is flattering on several people with varying shapes and sizes. Love the color you chose and goes great with jacket and skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some great work going on here! Love your choice of colours. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts